Sad day for me as Marks & Spencer closed down today. I've been going there since I was a baby in a pram, so getting on for 60 years! As far as I can recall, M&S were the only retailer to still be in their original premises in the High Road through all those years-- as well as the 3 banks (HSBC/Midland, Barclays and Nat West) and, strangely, Minton's the Chemists! Even BHS has moved in my lifetime, and Boots and Sainsbury's have moved twice....Halfords have closed down and re-opened twice, and are now almost back in their original location..!

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally went to Wood Green yesterday to go to the Big Green Bookshop (which I've not been to since M&S closed down). Saw the old M&S and noticed the To Let sign. So the horrible furniture/tat emporium is temporary. But as others have pointed out on this thread, lots of shops on the high street look temporary and seem to go on for years.

I wonder what has happened to the lovely original M&S clock sign outside the store?

That disappeared quite quickly after the store was closed down. Lots of photos online and a good one of the clock can be seen here

https://anonw.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dscn4033.jpg

I can't help but feel a small bit of schadenfreude towards the people who said they didn't care if M&S closed but are now bemoaning the crap store that replaced it.

The new shop seems to be busier than Marks & Spencers ever was in its last ten years of trading on the high road. I guess the people got what they wanted (or deserved). 

Market forces and all that. All pretty sad really. 

Still absolutely gutted that M&S has gone. As a result I haven't been shopping in Wood Green for an age. But the Big Green Bookshop is calling me back so I plan to go this morning - finally.

RSS

New Member Zone

If you've just joined Noel Park net, visit our New Member Zone for ideas on how to get the most out of the site. 

promote your business here

If you run a local business we're a low-cost way to access local residents. Contact the moderators at NoelPark.net@gmail.com for more info

Support our site

This is a volunteer-run community project. If you'd like to help us cover our costs so we can continue to provide this community service, please consider making a donation here.

© 2019   Created by Rachella Sinclair.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service