Pedestrian safety at and near Downhills Way/Lordship Lane junction

Perhaps there has been discussion about this before I joined the website, but in case not ...

We're concerned about pedestrian safety at the west arm of the Roundway where it crosses Lordship Lane and becomes Downhills Way.  Also at the junctions nearer the top corner of Noel Park, with Westbury Avenue in particular.

The only 'green person' light giving pedestrians a completely safe crossing is on the north side of the crossroads.  If you are fleet of foot, you might be OK negotiating these junctions, but if you have a push-chair, or mobility problems, yourself, it feels quite alarming.

My wife has written to the council and had a reply from Michael Demosthenous.  He points out that TfL are responsible for the traffic lights, but they would need instructions from Haringey council about placement and maintenance.  He continues: 

"The funding and time scale to design, model and deliver this work would be significant and we have to date been unable to identify an appropriate funding source. "

Would anyone be interested in pressing the council to give this problem higher priority?  Of course I realise it is of greatest interest to those of us living in the north-east corner of Noel Park.

Geoffrey

Views: 670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Hannah

Thanks for offering to help with this.

There is a public meeting of the Residents Association tomorrow March 22 at the Green Rooms 730pm(publicised on the events section of this website) and I understand that there is hope of an announcement of some progress on this issue. 

I will try to contact everyone after the meeting and we can decide on what is the best course of action together in the light of any developments then. I will make sure we all keep in touch.

Geoffrey Rendle

The junction is also dangerous for drivers as there are places turning right that do not appear to have lights to do so of no visible box markings. Very confusing.

Hi Rebecca

At the Residents Association meeting last month we heard from one of our councillors that there is good possibility of Haringey identifying some funding to make these junctions safer.  It would help if concerned residents could organise a petition (on paper or on-line) to support this.  I had hoped I would be able to help with this, but health issues are taking up a lot of my time and energy, still.  Is anyone else able to take the lead in organising petitions? - I cannot.  I am sending this reply to everyone who has contributed to the discussion.

Geoffrey

PS  Rebecca, I agree it is also confusing for drivers, (who are probably unaware that pedestrians are having to take their chance whenever they can). 

Dear Hannah

At the Residents Association meeting last month we heard from one of our councillors that there is good possibility of Haringey identifying some funding to make these junctions safer.  It would help if concerned residents could organise a petition (on paper or on-line) to support this.  I had hoped I would be able to help with this, but health issues are taking up a lot of my time and energy, still.  Is anyone else able to take the lead in organising petitions? - I cannot.  I am sending this reply to everyone who has contributed to the discussion.

Geoffrey

We've just received leaflets on Tower Gardens about a proposed redevelopment of 423-435 Lordship Lane which is the block at this junction with Paddy Power, William Hill, Mien Tay etc

The leaflet mentions an invitation to view the proposal at the Green Rooms on Thursday 16th November 4pm-8pm.

They mention that a benefit of the proposal will be 'public realm improvements' - they're probably just thinking of more trees but this might be another opportunity/avenue to push the pedestrian safety angle at this crossroads. 

Good thought Karen. Louise and I are hoping to drop in on 16th, and will push the safety angle if possible. 

Geoffrey 

Here’s the leaflet that came through the door.
Attachments:

Our councillor forwarded an email from the council about the junction:

"Thank you for your email regarding a lack of pedestrian crossing facilities in the vicinity of Paddy Power on Lordship Lane.

I can assure you that Haringey regards road safety, particularly pedestrian safety, as a high priority and are keen to provide safeguarding measures to ensure vulnerable road users maintain accessibility throughout the Borough.

All traffic signals in Haringey are managed and maintained by the Traffic Directorate Unit (TDU), of Transport for London (TfL). However, the Council provides details and instructions to TDU regarding the placement and maintenance of traffic signals.

I am pleased to inform you that we have appointed an external consultant to undertake a new study to explore the feasibility of introducing additional pedestrian facilities on all four arms of the ‘Lordship Lane, The Roundway and Downhills Way’ junction. The Boreham Road junctions with Lordship Lane will also be included into the traffic model in order to identify a workable solution.

The appointed consultant will use traffic modelling to endeavour to find a suitable solution to improve the pedestrian/cycle facilities at this junction, without causing a significant negative impact on the capacity of the junction. The consultant’s findings will then be reviewed by the Traffic Directorate Unit (TDU), of Transport for London (TfL) who will confirm if acceptable. We anticipate that the study will be completed by the end of March 2018.

Any measures identified within the consultant’s study, will need to be introduced in future works programmes, subject to securing the necessary funding.

Your sincerely,

Danny Gayle

Engineering Projects Manager

Haringey Council

Alexandra House, 5th Floor, 10 Station Road, London N22 7TR

1. 020 8489 1696
  2. Danny.Gayle@haringey.gov.uk

"

Excellent news! Fingers crossed that the consultant is useful!

RSS

New Member Zone

If you've just joined Noel Park net, visit our New Member Zone for ideas on how to get the most out of the site. 

promote your business here

If you run a local business we're a low-cost way to access local residents. Contact the moderators at NoelPark.net@gmail.com for more info

Support our site

This is a volunteer-run community project. If you'd like to help us cover our costs so we can continue to provide this community service, please consider making a donation here.

© 2019   Created by Rachella Sinclair.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service