Fireworks don't have to be ear splitting to be fun. We can enjoy them in safety, without causing annoyance to our neighbours and their pets and wildlife. If you have your own firework display, remember that too much noise can frighten people and animals and that fireworks cause smoke and pollution.
Give neighbours a few days notice of your display - particularly important if they are elderly, have children or pets.
The law and fireworks:
It is an offence to throw or set off fireworks in any highway, street, thoroughfare or public place.
It is illegal for under 18’s to be sold fireworks or to possess fireworks in a public place.
It is an offence to keep fireworks (except those for private use) on premises that have not been registered for this purpose. Individuals can store fireworks for private use for up to 14 days, provided they are kept in a safe place.
It is illegal to set fireworks off between 11pm and 7am except in the following cases:
o November 5th Guy Fawkes Night - fireworks can be set off until 12am.
o New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year - fireworks can be set off until 1am.
Advice for staying safe:
Follow the firework code:
Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114
Keep them in a closed box
Don’t drink alcohol when letting off fireworks
Follow the instructions on each one
Light all fireworks at arm’s length, using a taper
Stand well back when each one has been lit
Never go near a lit firework; even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode
Never put a firework in your pocket, or throw one
Always supervise children around fireworks
Light sparklers one at a time and always wear gloves
Never give a sparkler to a child under five
Keep pets indoors
Do not let fireworks off after 11pm
Advice for keeping your pets safe:
During firework seasons, walk dogs during daylight hours and keep pets indoors when fireworks are likely to be set off.
At nightfall close windows and curtains and put on music to mask and muffle the sound of fireworks.
Make sure your pets are always kept in a safe and secure environment and can’t escape if there’s a sudden noise. Have your pets micro chipped in case they do escape.
Comments are closed for this blog post